Skip to main content

Jennifer Ellis: Yes, Quit Your Day Job and Pursue Your Passion

        International editorial makeup artist Jennifer Ellis, who lives in Australia


Q: You talked of a pivotal moment when you left a stable paycheck to pursue makeup artistry full-time. Many warned you this wasn't the logical thing to do. How did you tune out the voices of others and what made you just go for it?

Ellis: “I had started to feel very stifled in my career, and felt like all the extra hours I worked could have been spending working on my own business. I’ve never been one to stick to the the typical 9-5 hours, so to me it made sense that I should channel all that effort into a business of my own. I’d studied makeup for many years prior, and it had always lingered in the back of my mind. It was also during a time when our company was going through a restructure and a lot of people are being laid off. Seeing colleagues leaving after dedicating decades of their life to the company really made me realize that even a so-called steady job is not a guarantee. So if you can lose everything doing something you hate or doing something you love, you may as well do something you love. That realization sparked a fire within, and I decided to leave my position and do all I could to make my dream a reality. 

I’m also the type of person that will continue to fight and will never give up, which is what you need in business. If you are truly passionate about makeup artistry being your full-time work, I actually recommend leaving your job completely, rather than trying to work both. There really is nothing like having to pay your mortgage or put food on your table to motivate you to find work. I think if I didn’t leave that corporate job, I probably wouldn’t have got my business off the ground as quickly as I did.”


Q: When did you know this was passion you wanted to pursue? Some makeup artists came out say they knew from a very young age. Was that the case for you?

Ellis: “I have always been fascinated with makeup, and not long out of school I was hired as part of the management team for an Australian beauty retailer. I used to love helping the customers with their purchases. I think a pivotal moment for me was when I helped an elderly lady who was trying to return all the products she’d purchased because she didn't know how to use any of it. I showed her how and she became quite emotional when she saw the final look, which then of course got me choked up. She sent flowers and a hand written letter thanking me for helping her feel the most beautiful she had felt. It was so rewarding to help someone who hadn’t ever really felt that way about themselves, for so much of their life. That was the point I first realized I wanted to pursue makeup artistry as a career and make as many women feel beautiful as I could. It’s so true that women struggle with self esteem and confidence, and even the most beautiful models will have something that they feel insecure about. So if I can help them overcome those insecurities and feel better about themselves, that’s what I am going to do. Some people think makeup is just playing with color, but it really is a powerful job, with a massive impact on how women feel about themselves.”

Q: How does the Australian makeup industry and aesthetic differ from the American or are they very similar?

Ellis: “They are very similar. Australia tends to follow America’s lead in a lot of ways, not just the beauty industry. The difference I have noticed is that in America - California is where I was based - everyone wore a fair amount of makeup. In Australia there is a mix of people who wear zero makeup to people that wear heavy makeup. But in terms of what we consider to be the epitome of beauty, our standards are the same.”

Q: What is your biggest advice for someone embarking on a career in the makeup industry?

Ellis: “My biggest advice sounds cliche, but it is so true. It’s all about who you know, but when you’re just starting, most of the time you don’t know anyone. So get out there and network. Do charity events. Do test shoots. Google meet-ups in your area and go to them. Find creatives in your area on social media.  And keep doing it. You can never know enough people. And once people start to know your name and your work, you will start getting referrals and repeat business from clients. You have to put yourself out there. 

But more than that, you have to remember that you have something of value to offer. You can’t forget that when you don’t land your dream gig straight away. No one starts working with Vogue in their first year. You have to be realistic and know that it takes a lot of hard work, but if you keep at it, and don’t let anything hold you down for too long, then you will reach your goals. It is possible. All the artists that are where you want to be - they were once where you are now. They’ve just failed more than you, got rejected more than you, and continued despite all the knock backs for longer than you. There’s a quote that I love, 'A master has failed more times than a beginner has even tried.' It really is true. Tenacity will always win.”

Q: It's critical for a makeup artist, no matter how established, to continue to hone his/her skills and find their footprint/style. How have you continued to do this?

Ellis: “It absolutely is. My style is very much to enhance the beauty of anyone that sits in my chair. I don’t think that will ever change. But how I incorporate the current trends into that is what will change and evolve. I am constantly researching new technologies, techniques and products on the market. I will test, and when I do, I will always utilize the test to really learn and grow my knowledge. There is no one on earth that knows everything, and the best way to expand your skill set is through trial and error. You have to be willing to make a mistake in order to learn and grow. Otherwise, you’re destined to be stuck in the same place you currently are.”

Q: What has been your biggest challenge and how did you overcome it?

Ellis: “There are so many challenges in running your own business. Fear is a massive one. I think creative people are often a mix of passion and crippling self doubt. Particularly when you first venture into makeup and you are surrounded by artists producing amazing work and you wonder if you can ever get to that level. A lot of entrepreneurs face this. But what it comes down to is that if you don’t try, the answer is always no, and you will continue to wish your life away. You might get 50 no’s before you get that yes. But all you need is that one yes to start proving your worth. You can’t let your fear dictate your life. So many people miss out on huge opportunities because they are too afraid.

Another big challenge is time management. When you first start out with your own business, it feels like you have all the time in the world, but you very quickly realize that you have so many tasks that it can be really overwhelming to even know where to start. Particularly someone like me that has so many goals and ideas, it can be challenging to even know where to begin. I have found that making a detailed goal list for what you want to accomplish short term and long term helps with priorities, and then chipping away at each item at a time, rather than trying to start everything at once. Otherwise you’re going to continue feeling overwhelmed, and won’t get to experience the satisfaction of crossing things off your to do list.”


Some of Ellis' work featured below (Images used with the artist's permission):




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tammi Marks McDonald: Twenty Years in the Industry Means Adapt or Become Irrelevant

  Tammi Marks-McDonald Q: You've been in the industry for 20 years. How have you seen it change the most? Do you think it's for better or worse? McDonald: “There have been so many changes. I think the internet has had one of the biggest influences in so many areas of our industry. 20 years ago there weren't makeup schools around to learn from. We had to study what we saw being produced and learn from each other and doing. While that is still the same today in many ways, the internet allows more education to reach more people worldwide. So influences are now broader than they ever were before. It also allows misinformation to spread as well and we see trends developing based off of stage makeup, makeup comedy videos, etc.and I think we need to be aware that what we hear isn't always correct. The internet also has allowed us as artists to share our work more easily with the birth of online magazines. Even the fashion industry is changing, e

Patrick Xiong: How to Be Private with Yourself and Revealing With Your Photography

Patrick Xiong's images are beautiful, but it's a boring term. He lives and works in New York City, a place rife with beauty/editorial photographers. Whether it was calculated or just a reflection of his professional style, he's gone the anti-perfection route: His images don't appear photoshopped or retouched to fit a makeup campaign's demands. In many ways, he's the antithesis of a beauty photographer. His images capture something else – an echoing pain in a model's eyes, the moment of joy that can't be manufactured on cue. Most of his images also capture reality: If the model looks a little worn, he keeps that in the image and somehow that imperfection holds us more deeply. He's a very private person: His profile on his professional website simply states he's an editorial photographer in New York City. He declines to give personal information about himself and a headshot. Xiong, however, graciously agreed to answer the following question, s

Iris Moreau: How the Makeup Industry has Changed, for Better or Worse

Iris Moreau got her start walking the runways of New York City and Paris as a high-fashion model. Eventually, she transitioned out and began looking for a new way to channel her creativity. Becoming a makeup artist seemed a natural extension of the industry she'd worked in. The contacts she'd made during her modeling career helped her break in as a makeup artist, but she still needed to prove her abilities. Moreau had some insights into the changes in the industry and where aspiring makeup artists should put their focus now. Her work has been featured in Marie Claire and Glamour, among other beauty and fashion magazines, and she's worked with celebrities including Eva Longoria, January Jones, and Paris Hilton. Q: Many aspiring MUA's believe once they get a high-profile client, a magazine editorial or a big-name agent, they will have "arrived." Is this a misconception? You talked about how it's a very cyclical career. What should those aspiring artist